Persuasive selling skills can only take you so far and then you have to master other aspects of selling. There is far more to your career than selling techniques or overcoming objections through selling tactics.
- · The most to lose because they know that they are an easy sales
- · They know that they have bad credit and are ashamed to admit it.
- · Are a salesperson and think that they need to put you through what they go through.
- For every sales tip you learn it may be a great idea to write down in a journal
- Take that new idea and then write down how you would use the new sales skill or sales tactic
- Your next step would to be to role play your new skill to become persuasive
- The last step would to be implementation after you have practiced.
- · Know what the other party is thinking
- · Uncover some of their buyer motives
- · Can reveal some smokescreens or objections in advance
- · Possible build some points by asking if nobody else has not
Persuasive sales skills can come from coaching or a mentor. The great thing about having a sales mentor is they let you know when you have done something great as well as doing something wrong.
While learning persuasive selling techniques you may or may not have personal contact with your mentor. It may be a case that you have never met the person and you have just read their website or blog, watched their sales DVD’s, listened to their sales CD’s or they may be a live in person mentor or coach. Some sales gurus will tell you that succes is instant when it really is not that is how you know what to buy if you are told its intant success run as fast as you can to get away. If the sales guru or mentor says it will take some time thats a better idea.
Persuasive selling skills are something that you learn and refine over time. There are times where you will be frustrated because things or sales are not moving fast enough. This is where most sales people will find sales failure because they give up.
It can’t be said enough that sales success comes from repetition and implementation. That’s right sales success comes from repetition and implementation it is important enough to say it twice.
A good sales mentor or sales teacher will tell you how it is. They will also give you sales coaching on how you can implement persuasive sales skills and how to avoid pitfalls or snags that will cost you the sale.
There may be times where you do not get along with the person who is coaching you. No two sales people perform sales or persuasion the same. Persuasive sales techniques vary from person to person but it is more like an art and no artist paints the same or draws the same pictures.
Street smart selling really can’t be learned in a classroom or from a mentor but it can be taught.
A mentor will share a plan with you and tell you to stick with it. They will not continuously change up your sales presentation or sales strategies. A good sales mentor or sales coach will teach you the sales techniques that work over time.
Now you may have to pay for your sales mentor or sales coach and that is normal. You may find someone who is willing to take on the task because they feel that they have to give back. No matter what way it works out for you to learn persuasive sales skills or techniques your job is to implement and ask questions and not tell stories about how to get something done.
An interesting thing about coaching people for sales is that the people who actually ask questions and take notes tend to do better with their sales over all. The sales people who want to tell stories and fight the way to do persuasive sales correctly usually burn out. The story tellers do not really listen to advice but want to justify why they do some sales technique that ends up with a “no” form their potential client or “I wanna think about it”.
Your job while getting sales coaching is to:
- · Listen to the sales coaching intently
- · Ask questions about what is shared with you and how to implement or use as a sales strategy
- · Take notes so that you can go back and look at what you have done
- · Implement what you have learned as fast as you can
- · Ask more questions to get as much valuable information as possible
- · Modify persuasive sales techniques based upon sales coaching
- · Repeat the previous steps above
If there ever were a easy to follow sales formula or sales recipe when it comes to having a sales mentor or sales coach that would be it. If you are paying or even getting your coaching for free it is best to work your butt off and do what you are told.
As always I would like to thank you in advance for your comments and or questions.
Now go implement!
Scott Sylvan Bell
Photo credits:Teacher Concept by jscreationzs, Hand One by Danilo Rizzuti
- · People have different reasons that they buy so not every persuasion strategy or tactic will work the same with every person. This is a skill learned in the field with real people not in a book. Sometimes you will have to fail.
- · Your appearance or lack of appearance could be costing you sales. Do you pay attention to your clothing, shoes, breath and even the type of notes you take and on what paper.
- · Being on time is not just a good idea it is mandatory and it shows how much you care about the people that are going to see and sell.
- · People will still tell you “no” “I wanna think about it” and give you some sort of stall or derail giving you an answer or commitment no matter how good you are.
- · If you want to get to the top of your industry you will have to sacrifice some time and money to grow. Your skills don’t just happen because you have studied the persuasive sales styles.
- · Your nonverbal communication or body language is just as important as the words that you say. What you could be saying from your mouth may not match up with the words.
- · People buy for reasons that are not your own, this is why you must ask questions and not assume that everybody wants the same cool mega widget. Sometimes the most important questions are the ones that you do not want to ask.
- · To persuade people better you have to be able to sell in a relaxed state. If you are frustrated more than likely your ability to persuade will be not as effective as it could be.
- · Sales slumps are perfectly normal in every industry, what matters is how you identify when are where they are coming from.
- · Statistically you will have a run where you cannot be stopped and then you will have times where you can’t give your product away for free, just like a sales slump it is common.
- · Learning to be uncomfortable in situations make your ability to persuade better.
- · People complaining about you or even canceling sales is also common even when you are the best at what you do. Remember not everybody buys or sales the same way that you do and it may offend them… get over it. Sales failure does not happen just because of a few cancelations.
- · Building rapport is important but you can go overboard and become a “friend” where it is easy to be told no. There is a fine line between rapport and losing the sale. Get in, get what you need to have done, get the paperwork done, cuddle a little or hold hands and then leave.
- · Sales success happens from doing the same thing over and over again in the right sequence and with the right attitude.
- · Confidence in yourself and or abilities can be seen from your clients and or potential clients. Do whatever you can do to keep your confidence up. Do something you are great at every day to remind yourself you do have abilities especially when in a sales slump.
- · Sales tips can be learned from not just great sales people but also from not so good sales people. You can always learn something to do or even something not to do and it doesn’t have to be from your industry.
- · There is no secret sauce or sales formula that instantly increases your sales, it all takes hard work. You will have to stick to a discipline and learn one way of selling before you try to combine beliefs. Sales recipes happen over time.
- · There is a ton of pressure on the salesperson to perform
- · The pressure causes the salesperson to speed up their sales process, they leave out steps in the sales process and end up hearing “no” or “I wanna think about it”
- · They are focused on the big number for the week, month or quarter.
- · It is important to remember to not change what was working for you previously and trying a new sales technique may not be the best idea unless you are good at improvising and not many sales people are.
- · Patience – Many sales are lost because the sales person wants action to happen on their timetable and in a perfect world that would happen. As a sales person It is your job to be patient and know that you will be asked the same questions every day over and over again.
- · Genuineness – People know and can feel the fakeness from most people, think of a stereotypical cheesy salesperson. People can tell when you are just out for the sale or when you really do care what happens to them especially if what they want is hard to afford for them. Taking things for granted may fall into this category.
- · Time factor – This is how you would come across to the potential client. When sales people memorize a sales script and then do not customize it to make it their own and it feels like it has been regurgitated a million times does not win points
- · Paying attention to the details – Many sales are lost just from the sales person being sloppy and not seeing what really needs to be done to get the business and the hope of charm and likability are left alone to try and get the sale.