How to sell: Many times sales people feel that persuasive selling skills will do all of the work for them and it’s all done, the sale is made.
The reality for salespeople is that it is the small things that can either make or break the sales call. The Boy Scouts have a motto and that is “Be prepared”. This motto works great for sales people also.
It is amazing how many sales people do not prepare before a sales call.
Now this may sound like a basic step but basic steps are usually what are missed in many of the sales calls that are lost and even sold.
Have you ever almost finished a sales call and realized:
- · You had no paperwork to get the potential client to the next step
- · You were missing some presentation material
- · You could not use some sort of communication device to check inventory or order parts, services or pieces
It is a horrible feeling to get almost to the top and then realize you cant finish the trip because you were not prepared so you have to pause and get supplies and reschedule.
What does this lack of ability do to the buyer in their eyes?
Can it lose the sale for you?
Can you create confusion in the sales process?
Any of the last 3 items listed can happen and yes it can cause you to lose the sale and then you have sales failure.
When you are not prepared it causes some mistrust on the part of the potential client. When the questions happen about you and your product the rejection mechanism in their brain starts to trigger. The rejection mechanism then starts questioning whether or not you will do the right thing for them and then they say “no” or “I wanna think about it”.
Here are a few very simple ideas that can help you increase your sales
- · Keep extra copies of your agreements with you in case you need another one
- · Keep an extra copy of your presentation at hand in case one is damaged or is missing
- · Back up clients files in case of computer viruses or computer failure
- · Get to your sales call early in case unforeseen things have changed
- · Keep a hard copy of phone numbers so that you don’t have to rely on a cell phone
- · Have a back up source or someone else to call to check for availability of products or delivery dates.
- · Have extra pens of the same exact type so that they are all uniform colors and manufacturers
Ok so you are so right these tasks should just be a given but the amount of times where these basics are not covered and sales are lost this list must be mentioned.
It isn’t always about covert hypnosis, story strategies, questioning techniques or even persuasive sales skills and abilities. It may just be about being prepared to make the sell when available not just some old or new technique.
As always I would like to thank you in advance for your comments and or questions.
Now go implement!
Scott Sylvan Bell